Monday 13 April 2015

Taking Stock, April 2015 - Progress and Reassessment

So, in January this year, I stopped and took stock. I was hopeful of moving my art forward, but that doesn't seem to have happened, so I stopped and took another look

Where I was:

  • Refamiliarise with materials: using the book Everyone can Draw. That hasn't happened. Once university started pretty much everything stopped.
  • Dragons: apart from the Anna and the Rock Dragon cover, I haven't touched a dragon picture since I wrote this piece.
  • Beetles: also no progress.
  • Spiders: also no progress... unless you count all the photographs I've taken since then.
  • Problem Areas: I figured out I needed to work on a lot of things: perspective, colour, plant shape and form, lizard anatomy, weapons and proportion. I was going to start small and work bigger. Hasn't happened yet...
  • Sunday Walk Feature: supposed to happen every Sunday; hasn't been happening.

So, not a lot of progress. I'll try again.

Where I'm going:

Lately, I've been studying an awful lot - anywhere from 6-12 hours in a day. That's not going to change much. I've also not been taking as many photos as usual. That will have to change. And I haven't done any sketching or picture-making. That will definitely have to change. Here's what I'll try this time:

  • Do some drawing every day: Sounds simple. I figure the time for this is usually just before I go to bed. To keep myself on track, I'll post what I've drawn the day after. I'm thinking of a dinosaur and fighter focus.
  • Photograph something every day: Again, easier than it sounds. I might have to incorporate this on my morning walk.
  • Sunday Walk Feature: I'm not quite up to this, at the moment. I'll post walks as I manage them.

No comments:

Post a Comment