Wednesday 28 March 2018

Latest Cover Design—Dear Tiger: Help Me Find My Sisters

The final cover in a series can sometimes be the hardest, or the easiest of them all. I’m still not sure about this one.

To start with, I wanted to link the ruins in the story to cover, so I used the cover from the fifth book as my template. I then removed the Junichi’s most excellent spaceship, and set about isolating each eye in aset of eyes sourced from Panaceadoll at Dreamstime.

I also wanted to link the cover in with Book 3, I Like Your Lab, so I used the eyes I’d already isolated from the monstereyes sourced from Plus69 at Dreamstime. Lastly, I isolated the wonderful, blue eyes from the thai cat photographed by Hanna Darzy, also at Dreamstime. I imported each of these as layers and arranged them on the cover.


Finally, I realised I had to add the short story warning to the base of the cover just above the author by-line, and then I needed to use the Brightness-Contrast option under the Colors tab in order to make the white lettering more visible over the eye by reducing the brightness of each eye layer by -8, and increasing the contrast of each eye layer by +13.

This is the final cover:


No comments:

Post a Comment